Friday 4 October 2013

Buiding an Open and Transparent Council in Grande Cache

One of the very first things I noticed when I attended my first council meeting in Grande Cache is that there were no microphones or recorders. I then looked over at the secretary to see if she was typing verbatim. That wasn't happening either. From my experience I thought it was a must that all open council meetings be completely recorded. I then find out that it is against the procedural bylaw to record here. Amazing.

It is important to have a complete and accurate record of all that is said in open council. The bylaw has to be changed and proper equipment installed in council chambers to insure every word spoken in open council is recorded and kept on file. Doing this is just one step in in insuring openness in council proceedings.

No comments:

Post a Comment